With election scenario around the corner, we often notice political parties trying to woo their voters with catchy songs, either freshly made or parody ones from hit songs. And, when we talk of political songs, certain Hindi songs immediately flashes our mind. The most popular ones includes Mehengai mar gayi (Roti Kapda Aur Makan), Who jhootha hai (Namak Haram), Yeh jo public hai (Roti), Janata Ki Jai Bolo & Desh Ka Dushman (from Kissa Kursi Ka, Salaam Kijiye (Aandhi), Ranaji (Gulaal), Bharat Mata ki (Shanghai), Mehengai (Peepli Live), Jinhe Naaz Hai (Pyaasa) etc. But, there are good political satire songs in Odia too, some popular while some are lesser known & not available online at present. Here’s my thread on Odia Political Songs from film & non-film genres (excl the ones now made by or for political parties) from various genres for your browsing pleasure! Viewers are requested to help me in fine tuning & value addition of this blog:)
1. Marideli Khaparakati (1982), singer/music-Srikanta Das, lyrics-Swaroop Nayak, record by INRECO. This album was released during Durga Puja (1980-82). See for its lyrics mentioned at the end.
2. Ae Uparwala (Hira Nila 1984), singer-Debasish Mahapatra, lyrics/music-Swaroop Nayak.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TauA2JxxVDU
3. Bahi Jaye re Ganga (Balidana 1977), singer/lyrics/music – Prafulla Kar.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVdf7gzZC0o
4. Pana Gua Khaira (Jaga Balia 1984), singer-Debasish mahapatra, lyrics-Swaroop Nayak, music-Shantanu Mahapatra.. (its lyrics to be mentioned/updated soon at the end)
5. Vote Diya (Ram rahim 1983), singer/lyrics/music–Prafulla Kar.
6. Sahira Piley (1977), singer/lyrics/music-Akshaya Mohanty.. (see for its lyrics mentioned at the end)
7. Mun Jebe Mantri Hebi (Nala Damayanti 1986), singer/music– Akshaya Mohanty, lyrics-Sirsananda Das Kanungo..
8. Raja Khaye Mantri Khyae (Stree 1998)..singer Mohd aziz, lyrics-sirsananda das kanungo, music-amarendra mohanty..
9. Le Labina Tikke Pachhaku Ana (1982), singer/music-Srikanta Das, lyrics-Swaroop Nayak, record by INRECO
10. Boulo ! Na Olo ! (1982) singer/music-Srikanta Das, lyrics-Swaroop Nayak, record by INRECO
11. Baba re Alua, Bancha Kala Kala (1982) singer/music-Srikanta Das, lyrics-Swaroop Nayak, record by INRECO
12. Sunana Sunana Aau sunana (Paka Kambala Pota Chhata 1986) singer-Debashish Mahapatra, lyrics-Swaroop Nayak, music-Basudeb Rath (inspired from original song “Jauna Banchoo, Aau Sunana Bhasana by singer Srikant Das, lyrics S waroop Nayak)..
There were even some songs & speeches tried by various song writers & political parties. Some of them are mentioned below –
1. Abruti (Odia political recitations)- Lyrics & Recital by Laxmidhar Nayak, Music-Akshay Mohanty, Gathani Record Co
2. Vote Deba Kahaku – Lyrics – Suraindra, Produced by Gurupada Nanda for Orissa Pradesh Congress Committee, Gathani Record Co
3. Hatha Chinha Amara – Lyrics – Binod Nanda, Produced & Realsted by Gurupada Nanda for Orissa Pradesh Congress Committee, Gathani Record Co
Lyrics of some hit Political songs –
Marideli khaparakati, udigala tian
Deshasara matigale jete bana bhua
Kama thila bele (2), duar duar buluthibe
Kete katha kahuthibe…
Nala kholidebu, pokhari kholibu
Bekar lokanku chakiri debu
School kholibu, college kholibu
Gaon gaon re bijuli jalibu
Kama sarigale (2), aame re bhakua !
Akasha re uduchanti dekha sankhachilla
Akhi thae, kana thae, tame andha kala
Dina dipaha re (2), thantala peta ku kadhithibe
Biradi baishnaba sajithibe..
Chaula re godi, atta re ta khadi
Tela re mobile, chini re ta bali
Dokana aagare nalia gadi,
Phanka re paisa gala ta padi
Pati phitaele (2), mamun ghara chala !
Nae bandha tale, Jodi Jodi bani
Jhia katile bala aau pua rakhile beni
Bula sandha pari (2), dadana hoe buluthibe
Pabana katha kahuthibe…
Company karibu (2), company nahele filimi karibu
Filimi na hele, bank pakhaku jibu, loan anibu
Paradep jibu chingudi dharibu
Kichi na milile (2), bajao khanjani !!
Sahira piley sakalu kale, kabata khata khat
Aja ta uthi, kholile jae, daraja chatapat
Bujhile pila, aja hey tame kahaku deba vote
Bigidi jae, aja kahile, aare hatt hatt
Hmm..Mun kahau debi vote (4)
Aiye paruchi gobara ghasi, hoichi latapatt
Pilaku dekhi , pakala buddhi chanhichi katamatt
Kahile pile, hoilo aiye, kahaku debu vote (2)
Bigidi jae, aaiye kahile, aar hatt, aare hatt, aare hatt
Hmm..Mun kahaku debi vote (4)
Sakala gala, gadila sanja, halia hele aiye
Aja bhi hele halia, bada kahi se nae nae
Seshare aja pashe dakile aiye budhi ku dhire
Basigale ta munha ku chanhi, bichhara karibare
Kahila aja, kahilu budhi, kahaku deba vote (2)
Hasila aiye, basila pash, kahila jhatapatt
Tame mote dia vote, Mun tamaku debi vote (2)
Interestingly most of the Odia political satire songs (both film & adhunika) were penned by Swaroop Nayak & maximum songs were sung by Srikant Das. And, both of them were close pals. Apart from these, some EP records of poetic recitation that makes mockery of political parties were released in late 1970s by Gathani Record Co. There are some political speech too released by record companies for political parties like Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (Gathani Record Co).
©2012-2019 Mail IDfirstname.lastname@example.org
Images: Google & Youtube. All rights with respective rights holders
Gramophone Record images: Simadri Panigrahi, an avid gramophone record collector from Koraput
Previously posted in my twitter handle @taranitrotter on 2.4.19